I was speaking to a friend yesterday about
options that were given to me by the two doctors I visited when it occurred to
me that my first doctor did not even present me with the option of a
hysterectomy. She said, "We won't consider a hysterectomy because you are
too young." When I told her I do not want biological children, she
proceeded to question me over and over again on the topic. Even after I
confirmed her doubts she still did not present the option of a hysterectomy. I
prefer to believe that she lacked the experience about endometriosis rather
than believe that she made the decision for me. I do not want to believe that
she would decide to save one of my ovaries 'just in case' I changed my mind
about having a biological child while risking my health.
What makes it worse is that I felt a little
like the female doctor was 'policing' my body while the male doctor gave me all
the options and left the decisions up to me. He explained that the cysts and
extra flesh can be removed. However, they will return and I will have to repeat
the surgery every 4 years or so. When I told him that having a biological child
was not a priority he gave me the option of getting rid of my uterus completely
by doing the hysterectomy.
As I said before, I am not sure why that
first doctor did not present the option of a hysterectomy but I cannot help but
feel like decisions were made for me. What is even more saddening is that a
woman was doing this to me. I have been saying this for years and while many
people disagree with me I stand by the belief that women are one of the reasons
we are still not seen as equal to men. We live in a society where women are the
main nurturers and we raise our daughters to believe that they have no rights
over their own bodies, and we raise our sons to believe that they do. I see the
effects of this every day in my classroom. Change is happening but not quickly
enough.
i dont think i have understood it all
ReplyDeletebut i know you are a brave lady for sure